Thursday, 26 March 2015

A DAY OUT IN NORFOLK



One of the visiting locos at the recent, 6-8th March, North Norfolk Gala was L.N.E.R. D49 class Morayshire, owned by the National Museum of Scotland and on loan to the Scottish Railway Preservation Society. Morayshire was built by the L.N.E.R. at Darlington and completed in February, 1928, and numbered 246, becoming 2712 in the L.N.E.R. renumbering of 1946 and 62712 under B.R.. Morayshire was withdrawn from B.R. service in, July 1961 and eventually entered preservation and is now owned by the National Museum of Scotland, with a long term loan agreement with the Scottish Railway Preservation Society who have operated the loco both on the National network and their site at Boness. For the final months of operation before withdrawal for major overhaul, and sponsored by TimeLine Events, Morayshire was painted in B.R. black as 62712, in Spring 2014. 


Morayshire is seen here awaiting departure from Weybourne with 2M06, 0900 Sheringham to Holt on Sunday, 8th. March.



In operation at the event was a vintage train worked by Wissington and formed of three vehicles from the Vintage collection. Wissington was built in 1938 by Hudswell Clarke, works number 1700, for use at the British Sugar Corporation's railway at Wissington, near Downham Market. It's entire working life was spent there and it was kindly donated to the M & GN Society in 1977. The train, formed of G.E.R.No. 7, built in 1884 by the G.E.R. at Stratford for the Wisbech & Upwell Tramway, after which it was transferred to the Kelvedon and Tollesbury branch before surviving for a further 23 years as an onion store, M. & G.N. 129, built in 1887 by the Metropolitan Carriage and Wagon Company, and L.N.E.R. 6843, a Pigeon Brake built by the L.N.E.R. at York in 1929, is 2H08, 0934 Weybourne to Holt.






At the other end of the scale was B.R. 9F 2-10-0 92203, Black Prince, seen arriving at Holt with a service from Sheringham.





Y7 0-4-0T, built in 1923, as a dock shunting locomotive, worked for the L.N.E.R. and B.R. until 1952 when it passed to the N.C.B. Seen here at Weybourne shunting to stock of the vintage train.





62712 Morayshire awaits departure from Weybourne, hauling D.M.U. cars M56352 and M51192, with 2C33, 1437 Holt to Sheringham service.



Looking very much at home together 8572 has arrived at Holt with Quad-Art set 74. 8572 was built by Beyer Peacock in 1928. This was the last B12 in traffic with B.R., finally being withdrawn on 20th. September, 1961, and eventually acquired by the M. & G.N. Joint Railway Society in 1963. The Quad-Art set, designed by Nigel Gresley, was built at Doncaster in 1924, one of a total of 98 sets built, with a seating capacity of over 600 in an overall length of 350 feet! The last sets, 67, 79 and 90, were withdrawn from Kings Cross suburban services on 1st. April, 1966, and were transferred to Sheffield for use on summer specials before being finally withdrawn in  September of that year. Set 74 was withdrawn in early 1966 and sold for scrap but was acquired for preservation and used on the North Norfolk Railway in the early years. By 1979 the set was in a poor state and had to be withdrawn from operational use and put into store. In 1987 steps were taken to ensure the long term future of this historic set and a complete rebuild was commenced by West Coast Railways at Carnforth in 2003. The HLF made a significant contribution to the £500,000.00 costs and after 5 years of work test running commenced in April, 2008, with a grand public launch in July, 2008, since when the railway has held an annual Quad-Art Week in July each year.     

No comments:

Post a Comment